Sunday 19 December 2010

Loud: Rihanna

One of my favourite albums this year has definitely been Rihanna's 'Loud'. It's a short and sweet album with only 11 songs on it but I must say they are all fantastic and extremely catchy although there is one song I'm not too crazy about.


And can I just say, the album's cover is absolutely stunning..by far my favourite of Rihanna's. The red hair and lips play off each other beautifully. 

Song Ratings:

1) S&M: Two words describes S&M and they are 'dirty & playful' the first because of the fact that she sings 'Sex in the air I don't care I love the smell of it' and the latter because ' Sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and whips excite me..' now, I love Rihanna and I'm all for women being sexy and mouthy on their songs so this song is perfect for me, I would go as far as saying it's one of the best. And it's also set to be the third single so I can't wait for the video! 5/5

2) What's My Name? ft Drake: This song is just genius, that's all I can say! I mean it has an amazing chorus and Drake (who I love!), what more could you ask for? I like the video for it a lot and every time she sings 'Hey boy I really wanna see if you can go down town with a girl like me' I just want to get up and dance!! I think it's my favourite song on the album but I can't say for sure because I'm in love with all of them...it's so hard! 5/5!  

3) Cheers (Drink To That): Another fantastic addition to Loud, it's fun, catchy and would make a successful single. Avril Lavigne's sample on the song is brilliant and Rihanna's voice is perfect for the song, she brings out her Caribbean roots a little which adds even more flavour. A definite stand out track. 4/5

4) Fading: I absolutely adore this song, it's playful but also slightly serious at the same time. She's singing it in a fun way but the lyrics are basically about getting out of a relationship where you don't feel appreciated or loved. Very very nice song and I think it would make a great single! 5/5

5) Only Girl (In The World): The lead single from Loud and it certainly deserved the huge success it received . It's a complete contrast to the previous Rated R which was full of darkness and without a glimpse of happiness. The video for the song is my favourite of Rihanna's so far..it's absolutely beautiful, all the colours, the flower theme is genius and Rihanna's hair (lol) was made for a video like that, I think the video is so great it deserves some kind of award! The song is fantastic and extremely catchy, it'll have you singing in 'Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world' in full voice in no time! 5/5

6) California King Bed: I admit at first I was like 'What on earth is she singing about a damn California King Bed?' but once you hear the song in full you understand what she's singing about. It's actually a really gentle and nice change to the other up beat songs on Loud, you hear Rihanna just sing and she makes you believe in the song which is what a signer should be able to do. A lovely song about a relationship falling apart and the two people just simply growing apart. 4/5 

7) Man Down: Another one of my favourites, it took me a few listens to really appreciate it but Rihanna's strong Caribbean accent and the amazing beat make it a track you don't wanna miss out on listening. The lyrics on the other hand are quite serious and out there...she is singing about having shot her ex boyfriend because of his infidelities but she shows that she's sorry LOL and I honestly can't help but sing a long everytime I hear it. Despite the meaning of the song it is extremely catchy ladies..and gentlemen! 5/5

8) Raining Men ft Nicki Minaj: This song definitely takes a few listens before you can call it your favourite or just simply a good song. I wasn't too sure of it in the beginning and I was a little dissapointed because it features one of my favourite artists Nicki Minaj but after a while I could definitely call it a nice song and I sure as hell sing a long to it now it just took a while. It's not the best but it's also not the worst, it's worth a listen at least. 3.5/5

9) Complicated: For me this is probably the song in which Rihanna gets to really show off her voice, I was pleasantly surprised to hear her sing so powerfully, props to her! It's a fantastic song that plenty of people can relate to, it's about a relationship of course and how the guy is ridiculously complicated but..that's normal right? Lol. It's a song for everyone and very memorable! I think most people would enjoy it. 5/5

10) Skin: I couldn't wait to review this song because I'm in love with it, it's just incredible..I can't even describe it! It starts of very slowly, it's a calm song but with a lot of sexiness. She's singing about just being in her skin and whatnot but just around the middle the calm beginning just blends beautifully with a slightly more up tempo finish. A real stand out and probably my favourite on the album! 5/5! 

11) Love The Way You Lie (Part II) ft Eminem: Now...I love the original Love The Way You Lie and I expected to love this version too, unfortunately I'm not too keen on it. I don't know if it's Rihanna's first verse or that the lyrics differ from the original but I don't think Part II should've been made if I'm honest. It's one of those songs that you can't make a Part II to because it's so hard to top. Don't get me wrong it's not terrible but it's not fantastic either, the weakest song on the album for me. 3/5



A fantastic album overall and probably the best of Rihanna's best of her career so far, she's become quite the song maestro and it definitely shows. She has the ability to make beautiful songs and even better albums. She's just become a fantastic artist! 



More album/music posts to come! 

x

No comments:

Post a Comment